Pages

Friday 11 January 2019

Living with Endometriosis

Hi guys,

So I wanted to write a post about Endometriosis. It's a medical condition that I suffer with, and I know that it's extremely difficult to get diagnosed with it.. so I hope that by posting some of the symptoms.. and sharing my experiences.. it can help somebody get to the bottom of an otherwise unsolved mystery!

So, first of all. What is Endometriosis? Well, its a condition where tissue from the lining of the womb, grows outside of the womb.. in places like the ovaries and Fallopian tubes.. it can also be found on other organs as well. It is a chronic condition that causes severe pain and discomfort, heavy periods, fatigue, bowel and bladder problems, and unfortunately, infertility.

Now, I want to share my own experiences.. and I am going to go into detail.. so if it's not something you want to know or read, then I suggest you stop here ;)

I have always suffered with heavy periods. I've also suffered with most of the other symptoms that come along with periods such as, headaches, back pain, nausea, leg pain, fatigue, stomach cramps, depression, mood swings, spots.. you name it.. I've had it! My periods will typically last for 7 days.. and there is not a single month where I am spared any of these symptoms. Sometimes, I'm so heavy that I have to go to the toilet every hour.. or even every 30 minutes!

I have tried several contraception options.. however, I am yet to find one that agrees with my body! I have tried 6 different pills, the coil, and as of about 3 weeks ago... the Depo injection. I am useless at remembering to take tablets.. so the pill isn't really an option for me.. not to mention how sick it made me feel. I also tried the coil. Those of you who have never had the coil.. I don't recommend! Especially those of you who think you may have Endometriosis.. or do have it. I was in the most horrendous pain.. I would be leaning over and moaning.. after each contraction... yes.. contraction! Every time we have our periods.. our uterus will contract.. however. My contractions were made much worse because of the coil. I had the coil for 6 months when they finally agreed to remove it. Can I also point out.. I found it extremely painful having it inserted and removed as well.

It took several doctors appointments.. and several hospital appointments to finally be diagnosed with Endometriosis. The sad truth, is that they don't take the symptoms seriously, and many women are left to suffer without answers or solutions. I suffered for several years, without knowing what was wrong. I knew it wasn't normal to be in the pain that I was in. I would google 'severe cramps during period', 'extremely heavy periods', 'pain when urinating'. I have excruciating pain when I have my period.. to the point where it brings me to tears, I've missed days of work, cancelled plans, curled in a ball and held onto my knees crying. I do have pain when I don't have my period as well. The pain is usually where my ovaries are.. and will sometimes move over into my back.. or on the top of my womb. It's not easy to determine exactly where the pain is all the time. There is nothing in particular that triggers the pain..  it's very sudden.

In 2017 I made a trip to the doctors to demand answers, and to demand that my symptoms get treated seriously and not pushed aside anymore. It worked, because I was sent for an ultrasound. I had my ultrasound and that's when the lady told me that she couldn't find my left ovary! It's not uncommon for nurses not to see your ovaries. Our bladder can block the view. This was alarming as I was told the same thing a few years before.. so that was something I was going to follow up with the doctor. I went back to the doctor and he ruled out any medical issues but referred me to a gynaecologist, because I asked him to! (We shouldn't have to ask for these things!). The gynaecologist was amazing, he looked further into the problem and came to one conclusion. He was SURE I had Endometriosis, so sent me for a Laparoscopy to confirm. I had my Laparoscopy operation in May 2018 and Endometriosis was confirmed. Those of you who don't know, laparoscopy is usually the last resort for a doctor to look for Endometriosis. There are complications that come with the procedure. I was aware of these, but I knew I had to find out. The procedure involves an incision, usually two incisions made around your belly button and usually around the area where your ovaries are. A camera is inserted to look for the tissue, and if anything is found they will enter the tools to burn off those tissue cells. It's not a permanent fix, but there is no cure for the condition as of yet.



My laparoscopy however, did not go to plan. Although the procedure itself was pretty straight forward, the healing was not so straight forward. I was in unbearable pain the moment I reached home, but that's normal after surgery! If you do have the laparoscopy, be prepared for the shoulder pain that you will experience for a few days after the surgery! The shoulder/chest pain is caused by the gas that gets pumped into your body.I was unable to walk, sit, lay, stand! so that's pretty much all of my options exhausted lol. The pain seemed to ease over the next few days.. But I was aware that I couldn't stand up straight.. and that the pain was slowly coming back. After about 6 days after my surgery I was unable to move. The pain I was experiencing was worse than it was the day I came home. I think I knew in myself that something wasn't right. I was again, unable to lay down.. when I did lay I was unable to get up again. I remember having to drag myself to the toilet in tears because it was that painful. I booked a trip to the doctors and my doctor asked me to lay down on the bed. With extreme difficulty, which should would have been pretty evident to him. He began to press down HARD.. in my stomach area and my belly button area. Of course I cried and let out a screech every time he did it.. I had to even ask him to be gentle. I know he's a doctor but bloody hell! He sent me away and told me that it's completely normal to feel sore after surgery. 2 days later I couldn't bare the pain any longer and I was already taking days off work! So I went back to the doctors and demanded to see another doctor. I saw a female doctor and I was sat in tears telling that I know my body and I know something wasn't right. I also told her that I didn't want her pressing as hard as she could as I knew I couldn't take much more pain. She had a feel around and told me that she wasn't happy with what she was seeing and told me that I may have internal bleeding.. or worse.. sepsis! She sent me straight to A&E and when I was there I was seen by several doctors and nurses. I was told that I had an infection from the surgery.. and that I needed to be on anti-biotics. I was told that internal bleeding would have been most unlikely.. as would sepsis have been! Madness.




I would love to say that since having the laparoscopy, my pains have decreased.. however.. because the tissue they found was so small.. they were unable to remove them all. They run the risk of damaging other organs, so they are very careful with how much they do. My pains are still just as bad.. and my periods are also just as bad! However, I was told that the depo injection will help to ease the pain and to make my periods lighter.. or even stop altogether! I had the injection 3 weeks ago.. and currently have my first period since. I am on day 6.. and I'm probably the heaviest I have ever been.. go figure! I had read a few reviews and information online, and it seems that you have to bite the bullet and stick with it, as it takes 6-12 months to sort itself out. I hope it sorts itself out soon! I can't do this for much longer.

My advice would be, to pressure the doctors if you don't have answers. Make sure you get all the referrals that you need. Extremely heavy and painful periods are NOT considered normal. It's normal to have mild cramps and heavy periods.. but if you experience excruciating pains then you really should get checked. The doctors will try and put you off a laparoscopy. Yes they are painful and uncomfortable.. but at least it will give you a proper diagnosis. 

It's not easy.. but I'm strong. If you suffer too.. stay strong :) Always think positive!

Rosie xxx

No comments:

Post a Comment